Wednesday, November 11, 2009

On Weirdness


One of my border collies is obsessive compulsive. All border collies by their very nature are intense and focused. This makes them good dogs or Baddogs, depending on what they are focused on.

My dog likes to run. He could run professionally. He could go out on tour and give seminars to teach other dogs to run. He is the Forrest Gump of dogs.

The Farmerman baled straw last weekend. My dog spent hours running a trajectory that took him around a bale and back again.
There was no purpose to this endless loop other than to run. My other, younger dogs wanted to play and do other normal doggie things like chase crows out of corn and engage in the lovely sport of sheep intimidation. Wierdy Dog just wanted to herd a bale all day.

In my work with autistic people, I often see compulsive behaviour. If you thwart it one way, it will return in another form.
Adults with good cognitive skills can learn to recognize their compulsions and learn techniques to soothe themselves. Adults with autism and developmental delay (and dogs) cannot.

I often read about people with compulsive dogs looking for ways to train the behaviour out of their pet. My feeling is that the dog is who he is and we need to adapt their environment to protect their quality of life. I used to think the WeirdyDog would be ‘cured’ of his compulsions if he got more exercise. Moving to the farm has proven to me that no matter how tired he is, if there is a stimulus, he will perform whatever behaviour he needs to satisfy himself. He doesn’t give a flea about being ‘weird’.
Drugging, training, crating is not the answer. It’s not bothering him. It’s only bothering me and I’ve learned to rethink the issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment