Wednesday, January 6, 2010

My Wintersown Project

On November 3, 2009, I planted a mix of radish (french breakfast), carrot (touchon) and spinach (king of Denmark) seed together. I placed the bin inside my old van. The outside temperature were about 10*C during the day and about 10 degrees higher inside the van. I figured that things would sprout but I wasn't hopeful for a harvest since the amount of daylight is pretty low in November.

We had sprouties by the 20th of Novemeber. Temps stayed about the same with a few cold nights. On December 4th, all was progressing well but the sliding door fell off the van. I moved the project inside to an unheated summer bedroom. Temps varied but did not go beyond 10*. The sprouties had an east facing window which gave them good morning light. They weren't doing alot but they satisfied my need for green.

December 23rd, still hanging on. They have yet to be watered. The radish are the sturdiest of the bunch. The carrots and spinach are still thinking about what they need to do and whether this is the right time of year to do it.

January 5th. The sprouties endured a few days of at freezing temperatures. I finally watered them and they perked up. The room is staying about about 5*C and getting lots of sunlight. The sprouties have been in a state of cold confusion for 2 months but they aren't dead.
To be continued....


  1. So far so good. Looking forward to your TBC... I had lots of luck with self seeders in wintersown containers.

  2. Nice to see another ontarian blog! I shall add you to my blog roll @

  3. Nice post and looking forward to see if you get desired result or not. Keep us updating about the same..